GENERAL CONFERENCE


General Conference is coming! I am excited for so many reasons! I feel a lot like I do at new years when General Conference comes. It is a time to pause and take stock, to tweak the things that I need to do better, to set new goals, to remember why I believe, worship, love & obey the way I do. It also means SPRING! When I was growing up we would work in our garden while listening to the Saturday session of conference. We (by we I mean Dad & Mom) would plant peas, among other garden work, and I LOVE fresh, garden peas. I also have great memories of the variety of ways my parents would try to help us listen (we did not have TV reception in either of the homes I grew up in). We made bingo boards with words on them and marked them with pennies as the word was said, at the beginning of a talk we would choose a word we thought would be used often in the talk and then make tally marks each time it was said, we would make dot - dot games with dad and try to look like we were listening while really trying to guess dad's next move. So for me General Conference means faith, family, new beginnings, and much more!
As I look forward to Conference with my own family I am grateful for SOOOO many resources available to help us. One of the things I use every year is a Conference packet created by a very talented sister. She shares it with the world on her blog, just click on the link below and you can print it out to use with your family, primary, what ever. enJOY! http://coloroftheskyinmyworld.blogspot.com/
Another great place to get activities and ides for Conference (and every other church thing) is http://theideadoor.com/
And there are many, many more.

The point is to make this time special, help us all remember what is important and to build strong testimonies of our Savior Jesus Christ and our Father in Heaven.







1 comment:

Rachel said...

I also love Conference! Especially in the Spring. For our family, April Conference meant listening to it on Saturday whilst we did Spring Cleaning. I would also ALWAYS rearrange the furniture in my room as well. Now that's a bit harder with BIGGER furniture to do...and not as many options to move it around....oh well.

General Conference still has a purpose without the traditions for my childhood...but fun to look back on.